"My statement is that I’m not going to dignify this crap with an explanation."
"Jon, maybe we should just say that the girl is question is Grace, a well respected attorney and one of your oldest friends. The pictures are innocent teasing and nothing more."
"No, I’m not dragging Rachel into this. They don’t know who she is and she can stay that way."
"What if she comments?"
"She won’t."
"I suggest you two lay low today."
"We are going to the movies when she gets back from shopping. Thanks for the heads up Ken."
"No problem, want me to tell your Mom to keep quiet?"
"Yeah, just tell her we are not commenting on it."
"What about Dot?"
"Dorothea is free to do what she wants, she knows this is all just us being us."
"Fine, talk to you later."
A half an hour latter the AP, got a hold of Dorothea and asked her if she had a comment. She rolled her eyes and told them it was a non story and that if she could be bothered she’d sue TMZ for disseminating utter crap. She found it rather ironic that the photographers assumption was correct, just about 8 hours too early. If they were crazy enough to go out today they couldn’t sue because even though they hadn’t had sex, she considered the affair begun the moment Jon told Rachel that he loved her and couldn't be without her.
Rachel arrived at the store and realized she had no clue what she was looking for. She apologized to the clerk for being an idiot and flashed her for some help. The clerk laughed and said that many women did that or had to ask her to read the tag so they knew what size they wanted. She picked a set out in each colour and two of the black, red and nude. The register tally made her eyes bug out, each set was $252 plus tax and since she bought 15 sets the total bill came to $4309.20. She figured pleasing Jon and herself was worth it, but she still thought it was outrageous. Her stomach growled and she stopped to grab a sandwich. As she crossed the street, she noticed a cute cardigan sweater in a store window that was just a shade darker than her baby blue bra. The sweater was cashmere and looked spectacular on her, especially when she left the top three buttons undone. She bought it to wear to the concert that night.
"Hi honey, I’m home." she joked as she walked into the room.
"Hey Baby, buy anything?"
"Yeah, do you prefer red, black, pink, rose, coral, green...."
"Green should look great with your eyes."
"Kay, one fashion show coming up."
She ducked into the bathroom, stripped off her clothes and underwear to put the new emerald green set on. She put her black heels on again and sauntered out into the room as if she was on a catwalk.
"Oh my god, you look incredible."
"Thanks, I checked on the movie and we’ve got to leave in thirty minutes."
"You expect me to leave this room with you looking like that?"
"You have absolutely no will power."
"Hey, for 23 years I had remarkable will power when it came to you."
"Well I best not tempt you further, I’m going to get dressed again."
"Wait, let me take your picture. I can keep it on my phone and look at it when I miss you."
Rachel bent over slightly to give him the best cleavage shot. She was about to take her bra off but she knew if she did that, he’d never let her leave the room in time to catch the movie. She changed quickly and gave him a long kiss. Jon grabbed a baseball hat and shoved it on.
"Don’t wreck your hair."
"I don’t want to be recognized, we are already making the gossip world turn round."
"Those stupid pictures? Ignore them."
"You knew about them?"
"Richie came in here just before you got back to tell us. He found me as you left me this morning. He knows about us and I set him straight on the time line."
"Were you going to mention this?"
"Yeah I figured I’d tell you while we waited for the movie to start. We shouldn’t dignify it with an answer."
"That was my position, but in the future I’d like to hear about crap like this as soon as you know."
"Kay. You know considering we can get to the car from the kitchen, no one will see us."
"Last time I checked you couldn’t drive in to a theatre."
"It’s the middle of the day, we are going to a movie that will probably be on DVD in a month or so. We may have the theatre to ourselves."
"One can only hope."
Rachel bought the movie tickets and the theatre was fairly empty considering there was ten screens. Jon was going to leave her to get the munchies until she reminded him she only had two hands. Jon took the nachos with salsa and cheese sauce and both large drinks. She carried the triple butter large popcorn, a bag of twizzlers and a bag of fuzzy peaches. They entered the theatre and sat right at the back underneath the projection room. They talked quietly while inhaling the nachos and started on the popcorn just as the previews started to roll. The second preview was for Leatherheads and she growled at the screen.
"I can’t escape that ass anywhere!"
Jon wanted to laugh but he leaned over and gave her a buttery kiss instead.
"His loss was my gain."
"Hey this movie looks cute, I like Patrick Dempsey."
"You’ve got a thing for McDreamy?"
"Yeah, but I’ve had a thing for him since Can’t Buy Me Love. Thank God the strike is over, I want my Grey's and Brothers and Sisters back."
"You watch too much TV."
"What else do I have to do? It’s not like I had this incredibly horny boyfriend to occupy all my time."
"All of that is going to change. You best be getting a Tivo, not that I’ll give you much time to catch up."
Rachel rolled her eyes, opened the Twizzlers and playfully whipped him on the arm with it.
"You kinky minx." He mumbled which made her laugh.
They watched the movie and Rachel was happy that Jon enjoyed it as much as she had. They made it back to the car without anyone noticing them. She hated to go straight back to the hotel room so she convinced Jon to have high tea with her in the hotel’s Lobby Bar.
"Baby, I’m not exactly the tea type." Jon whined as they were clearly the youngest people there by a good twenty years.
"Well you better get use to it because I love high tea and I go at least once a month. I like the quiet civility of it all, not to mention the cucumber sandwiches."
"It’s all about the cucumber with you, isn’t it?"
"Yup. Yes tea for two, we’ll both have English Breakfast Tea and could I request 4 extra cucumber sandwiches?"
"Certainly Miss."
"Could I see a menu please?" Jon asked. "I’ve never done tea before and I’d like to know what I’ll be eating."
Jon looked over the menu and was surprised when his stomach growled.
Sandwiches: English Cucumber and Watercress, Tarragon Lemon Lobster Salad with Chervil, Aged Cheddar and Apple Slaw, Thyme-Roasted Duck Breast with Cranberry Orange Chutney
Pastries: Chocolate Tart, Bailey’s Liquor Cheesecake, Passion Fruit Tart, Chocolate Raspberry Cupcake, Opera Torte
Freshly baked scones with assorted preserves, Devonshire Cream and Lemon Curd.
"I might have to apologize for thinking this was your lamest idea ever. My mouth is watering."
"I know my food, darling. Wait until you taste the Devonshire Cream, when it’s done well it’s better than an orgasm."
"What is it?"
"It’s a thick cream that is almost the consistency of soft butter, it’s also called Clotted Cream."
"Kay, I can see it producing an orgasm if I spread it on you and licked it up but on a scone?"
"Trust me, it might not work for you but all that matters is that it works for me."
"So life is all about pleasing you."
"Exactly."
"I guess I could live with that."
"So you guys aren’t thinking of adding any concert dates in July or August I hope."
"There might be one or two as far as I know but...."
"No buts, I’m going to be beyond pissed if there is more than two. Trust me you’ve never been the subject of my real anger yet and it’s not a pretty thing."
"So I have to run my travel plans by you?"
"Yes, you need to get my permission first."
"Permission? I think I’m over the age of consent."
"Not in my world. I told you Jon, I want you home not anywhere but."
"What about Philly?"
"It’s not an hour fight anymore so I guess you won’t be going so often."
"But..."
"If you can miss games for the tour, you sure as hell can miss them for me."
Jon didn’t respond but she could tell he was starting to understand why she told him it wouldn’t be as easy as he thought.
"The season is what March to the end of June? You can go to half of the home games."
"That’s like 4 games!"
"You can count, I’m impressed." She teased.
"Rae....."
"It’s not up for discussion, this isn’t a democracy, it’s a dictatorship and I’m the dictator."
"You know Dorothea...."
"I don’t care what Dorothea let you do. I’m not her and I’m not putting up with a quarter of the crap that she did. If you want to be in a committed relationship with me, you are committed to me only."
"Oh good here comes the food." Jon replied wanting to drop the subject.
Rachel enjoyed watching Jon discover high tea. He was grinning like a kid in a candy store and drinking the tea as if it was the last drink he’d ever get. She took a piece of scone, put some clotted cream on it with blackberry preserve on top and popped it in to his mouth.
"Oh my God, that’s good."
"Told ya."
"Wow, you know I think Dave would appreciate this."
"I think you should take Steph to tea in New York. It could be a great father daughter tradition for you both."
"I think I’ll do that over Easter, will you come?"
"Maybe, I’ll take Jess and sit at a different table. You should give Steph alone time with you."
She devoured a scone and then thought of something, "Do I get to do tonight’s set list?"
"I guess so, you better do it as soon as we get upstairs so the guys have a clue."
Rachel was turning her hand, letting the sunlight play on her new ring. It made him happy to see how much she enjoyed the ring. He wondered how George could have dated her and not understood that she liked simplicity. Other than her obsession with expensive designer shoes she was very much a jeans and T shirt type of a girl. She like jewellery that she could wear everyday. If she ever felt like a dress needed diamonds she’d borrow a set from a store for the event. She once wore an emerald green silk dress with a spectacular platinum and emerald necklace. He wanted to buy it for her 40th but she insisted that she didn’t want it, as she’d only wear it three or four times a year tops. She told him that her Blackberry was on the fritz and that she’d love one if he was looking for gift ideas. Jon thought practical gifts were boring so that was when he decided he’d have fresh flowers delivered to her office early every Monday morning. She’d get a surprise every week, not knowing what type of flowers would greet her. He had to figure out what to get her for her birthday other than the trip to Anguilla. He suddenly had an idea and excused himself for a few minutes to go speak to the concierge.
She paid for the tea, it wasn't too often Jon let her pay any bill so she took every opportunity presented to her. She knew when he came back and saw no bill he’d give her a look which is exactly what he did.
"Don’t give me that look, it’s my treat."
"Thank you brat for tea and the movie. Let’s get you upstairs to work on the set list."
Twenty minutes later Rachel presented him with a set list that she maintained had to be longer since it was a record fifth show in Toronto.
"Thirty three songs? My voice is going to be tired."
"You can do it Jon, besides I love listening to you sing Hallelujah, six little minutes of heavenly singing."
LOST HIGHWAY
BORN TO BE MY BABY
BAD NAME
COMPLICATED
RAISE YOUR HANDS
I LOVE THIS TOWN
LOVE LIES
OLDER
BLAZE OF GLORY w/ Knockin' On Heaven's Door intro
4TH OF JULY
THANK YOU FOR LOVING ME
WHOLE LOT OF LEAVIN'
SATURDAY NIGHT
WE GOT IT GOIN' ON
IT'S MY LIFE
BAD MEDICINE w/ Shout
IN THESE ARMS - RICHIE VOX
(YOU WANT TO) MAKE A MEMORY
BED OF ROSES
WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T GO HOME
HAVE A NICE DAY
I’VE GOT THE GIRL w/ Keep the Faith
PRAYER
ENCORE:LAST NIGHT
WANTED
HALLELUJAH
GET READY
IN AND OUT OF LOVE / TWIST & SHOUT
NEVER SAY GOODBYE
"Whatever the lady wants she shall have. So any ideas how we can waste three hours?"
"Yeah, I want to curl up with a book. You can watch me, you can read something of your own or you can read to me."
"Is it an erotic book at least?"
"No, it’s funny though."
"So really you don’t care what I do, as long as you can use me like a piece of furniture and I’m quiet."
"I stated it more eloquently, but yes."
"The things I do for you."
"Ah, but I’m worth it."
"That’s debatable." Jon stated with a wicked grin.
"You shut up and get on that bed or else!" She ordered before settling herself in his arms and getting back to her book.
He left her alone for a bit to deliver the set list. Dave teased him about being whipped and he told his old friend what had transpired over the past few days. Dave was a little surprised but was happy for them both. Richie dismissed Jon much in the same way as he had Rachel. Jon popped downstairs to see if the concierge had an answer for him. He was thrilled with the answer and handed over all the information the hotel would need.
He found Rachel in the same position he left her in and got back in bed, wrapping one arm around her waist. He started reading over her shoulder and found himself chuckling along with her. She started reading the book out loud, quickly catching him up on the story. He was amazed that he wasn’t bored to tears but what he really liked was having her in his arms.
Just before it was time to leave for the ACC, Rachel took off her purple sweater and changed into the blue cashmere cardigan, leaving the first 3 buttons undone for him.
"Yowza baby, you look incredible. Once again, I don’t want to leave this room."
"Too bad there are 18, 000 people waiting for you or I’d let you stay in and play."
"Don’t tempt me. So any idea what you want to be eating at midnight tonight?"
"I’ll think on it."
Rachel decided to go on stage for the sound check but fell on the stairs and her lower arm ran across a slightly raised screw which gave her a deep nasty scrap that bled a lot. Jon came running over to her when she screamed. She had kept her arm out so the blood hit the stage instead of running down her arm on to her sweater. Richie yelled for a medic while Jon whipped off his shirt and used it to stop the blood.
"You hurt anything else Baby?"
"Just my knee, I smacked it on the step when I went down."
"Shit this is bleeding."
"Please, I don’t need a running commentary, I’m trying not to look at my arm."
"Sorry, I forgot about your issues with blood."
The medic looked at it and told them it was bleeding so much because she managed to nick the vein. He told them the nick was small enough that he could use surgical glue on it instead of a stitch which was a relief to Rachel. The medic let the glue dry and told them that he’d check on her in an hour and put a Band-Aid over it when it would be completely dried.
"Don’t let me see your shirt or the stage floor."
"Come sit down at the keyboard and look out to the audience." Dave suggested.
She followed his instructions while Jon used his shirt to clean the stage, since he’d have to pitch it anyway. Dave gave her arm a kiss to make it feel better and had her laughing within a minute. They did It’s My Life for the sound check and Jon did the first part of Thank You For Loving Me.
While Daughtry was performing, Jon convinced her to let him pull her jeans down to check her knee. There was just a large red spot on her knee that would turn into a big bruise overnight. He left a soft kiss on her knee before pulling her jeans back up. He kissed her arm and made her take two pain pills because he knew her arm and knee would probably start hurting later. She left for her seat when Jon got called to the stage area and moments later the two girls from the night before were being shown to their new seats.
"Oh my God, it’s you. Thank you so much!"
"You’re welcome, the show is a lot more fun from here."
It was fun watching the girls react to the band from such close quarters, yet being so close to the speakers wasn’t helping the headache that had just started. By the time Complicated started, she couldn’t stand it anymore and told the girls that when Jon asked she was in his dressing room with a headache. The girls thanked her again and told her to feel better. Jon looked down in time to see her leaving and hoped she wasn’t in too much pain.
He pulled both of the girls up during Thank You For Loving Me and they passed on Rachel’s message. During his shirt change, before going to the secondary stage, he ran to check on her and found her asleep on the couch. He dashed around to stage left and appeared just as Richie was finishing In These Arms.
He was a little disappointed when she wasn’t there for Hallelujah and wished he could just cut the set there, but he was a professional so he finished the set with all the energy he could muster. As soon as he left the stage, he made it back to the dressing room in record time. He knelt down beside the couch and lightly kissed her until she opened her eyes.
"How’s your head?" He asked softly.
"A little better, I took a third pill."
"What about your arm and knee?"
"They are both a little sore but nothing major. Shit! I missed Hallelujah."
"I’ll give you a private concert in our room. Give me ten minutes to shower and we are out of here."
She was too tired to argue when Jon picked her up in his arms and carried her out to the car. He kept her in his lap in the car and carried her through the kitchen and up the service elevator. He gently placed her on the bed and removed her clothes. Rachel was half asleep and didn’t respond to any of his questions, she just wanted to sleep. He placed the wake up call for the next day and undressed. She turned into him as soon as he settled down and went right back to sleep. He gently kissed her temples and played with her hair until he drifted off to sleep.