Of course, the only downside to having Jordan Bentley as her next door neighbour was the tiny fact that his wife was the city’s biggest gossip. She made her living uncovering celebrity dirt and broadcasting it to the public via her syndicated column and as special correspondent for a major entertainment show.
Trying to keep her relationship with George a secret, almost gave her an ulcer and on more than one occasion she had tackled him to avoid Greta seeing him. The last thing she needed was Greta confirming that Jon Bon Jovi had in fact left his wife for a hot blond twenty something who was actually about to turn 46 and lived next door to her. She tossed on a robe and made her way downstairs. She opened the door to Jordan and gave him quite the view of her breasts as the movement of the crutches had opened the top of the robe right up. Rachel told him about the cold and all his sleeping and he left her to go check on him.
Twenty minutes later, he came downstairs with the now thawed package of peas and his diagnosis. Jordan told her that on top of a nasty cold he had a Urinary Track Infection that because of the fever was probably a Kidney infection. He wrote a prescription for ten days of amoxicillin and advised that he drank plenty of water to help cleanse the urinary tract of bacteria. Jordan also suggested that during treatment, it was best to avoid coffee, alcohol and spicy foods.
"I don’t ever recall seeing that many hickey’s on one person."
Rachel looked at him trying to remember how many marks she left on Jon. "There aren’t that many."
"Rachel, your beautiful breasts look like you were attacked by a swarm of killer bouncy balls."
She looked down and pulled her robe close. "You could have told me I was exposing myself!"
"There would have been no fun for me in that. I take it you are responsible for that bite on his shoulder. You really should avoid breaking the skin, infections do happen. Stick to sucking, Vampira."
"Ha ha, Doc, I’m sure I don’t need to tell you this but Greta...."
"Yeah I’ll pretend I didn’t notice that my patient was a rock star. I want you to get him on the amoxicillin right away. Timmy happens to be on the same drugs for a sinus infection. I’ll bring over four pills now and you can return them when you pick up the script."
"One right away or two?"
"Normally I’d say one, but starting with two might be a good idea. For the first week he literally needs to take one every eight hours. The last three days, he can spread it out more and take 3 a day."
"Thanks Jordan."
When he returned with the pills he questioned her about the knee brace and asked for Dr. Kaye’s number as he’d feel better doing her follow up care and monitoring her pain. He wished her a good morning and went back home to bed, saying nothing to his wife.
Rachel forced him to swallow both pills and helped him finish a bottle of water before falling back asleep. He woke her up several hours later.
"Baby, I need your help."
"What’s wrong?"
"I still feel shaky and I have to go to the bathroom."
"With my knee, you aren’t going to be able to use me to keep you up. My crutches might help. Let me turn the light on for you."
He made it to the bathroom and back without a problem and crawled back in to bed.
"Not so fast Mr., let me take your temperature again and you need to drink another bottle of water. My alarm is going to go off in 3 hours for the next pill."
His temperature had gone down to 100.4 which made her feel much better. High temperatures in adults were never a good thing. She kissed him tenderly and let him drift back to sleep. When the alarm went off she called Nessa to cancel lunch and dinner and left another message for Richie telling him Jon was fairly sick and under a doctors care. She was just about to fall asleep when Fuzzy woke up and demanded breakfast.
Jon padded downstairs a little after noon and found her asleep at the kitchen table, using her crossed arms as a pillow. He carried her over to the couch and kissed her softly. Rachel woke up long enough to tell him to take his pill, that he couldn’t drink coffee and that she had picked up cranberry juice. He kissed her again and she drifted back to sleep. Jon took his pill and heated up some of the cashew chicken from the night before. He still felt horrible but the shakes had finally stopped. After lunch he picked her up again and carried her up to bed. They basically stayed in bed Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The car arrived to take him to the airport a little after noon on April 2nd and while he still had no energy he didn’t feel like dying was a easier option anymore. He couldn’t remember the last time he felt that sick.
When the phone rang a little after midnight Rachel grabbed it knowing it would be Jon.
"Hello"
"Hello Sexy, I miss you."
"Of course you do. How are you feeling?"
"Crappy but not nearly as bad as a few days ago. I still have no energy, I’m dragging ass Baby."
"How did you get through the show?"
"I had to get a stool and I sat the entire two hours and thirty three minutes. My ass was so sore when I got up. How was your first day back?"
"Oh fine." She decided not to tell him she didn’t go in.
"Guess who Rich had dinner with last night."
"Tell me, I’m not in the mood to play 20 questions."
"His dinner date was Nessa."
"That little minx! She didn’t say a word to me."
"Well Rich couldn’t stop talking about her long legs and how anxious he is to get back to LA so he can see her again."
"I’m so going to kill her tomorrow for withholding information."
"I wish your legs were wrapped around me right now."
"It will be a long time before my right leg will be capable of wrapping around you. Get some sleep lover boy."
"Yes dear, I love you. Have wicked dreams."
"Love you too, bye."
Jon went straight from the Burbank airport to Rachel’s office and Richie tagged along with him to see Vanessa. The office building sat in Studio City and the thirtieth floor meant that you could see down into Warner Brothers, Universal, NBC and Disney’s studio lots. The office was sleek and modern with lots of glass and a water wall in the reception area. The receptionist wasn’t there so they walked right by, Richie trusting that Jon knew where the hell he was going. They arrived at a aqua tinted double glass door, on the other side sat Vanessa.
A broad smile broke out on Richie’s face when he caught sight of her. Her long red hair was down and lightly curled. She was looking down at something so he couldn’t see her azure blue eyes but her plump berry stained lips reminded him of the searing kiss she’d given him at the end of their date. Thoughts of her alabaster skin, long legs and tight ass had consumed him the last two days. Truth be told, he actually found her more beautiful and appealing than Rachel because she looked real. Rachel always seemed too perfect to him, like central casting had created her. He’d never meet a woman with proportions perfect for a Playboy centrefold until he was introduced to her. She had the breasts, the legs, the long blond hair, the fiery green eyes, sexy pouty lips and a killer come hither look. Rachel was also brilliant with a genius level IQ and a quick sarcastic wit and easy laugh. She was just too perfect in his opinion. Not that he ever regreted having her around.
"Nessa, is the boss around?" Jon asked.
"I wouldn’t go in there if I were you. She’s verbally castrating someone."
"One of these days, it will be me she’s eating alive so I’ll consider this survival training."
"Hello there Vanessa."
"Hi Richie, didn’t think I’d be seeing you until tonight."
"I heard where Jon was heading and I couldn't resist seeing you earlier. Are you free for lunch?"
"It’s 10:30, I take lunch at 2."
"Well in New York it’s 1:30 already."
"That would matter if we were actually in New York you loon."
"Kay how about we go for a late breakfast?"
"Richie, unlike you I work for a living and the injured California Barbie has a lot of work to catch up on. If she is busy, I’m swamped. My lunch was going to be ten minutes to dash across the street to get food."
"You’re kidding."
"No and if she decides to take off with Jon, I won’t be able to make dinner unless you eat dinner at ten."
"Whoa, that hardly seems fair."
"I get paid a lot of money to make up for fair."
"Can I get you a cup of coffee at least?"
"That you can do, here’s my mug. Two inches of milk and four sugars please and the station is down that aisle half way then go right until you run into a wall."
Jon watched in fascination as she cursed someone out in rapid fire French. He recognized about every fifth or sixth word and the swearing. She hadn’t looked up to notice him yet and her tone was so icy that it gave him the chills. She had on the blue cardigan from Toronto and he licked his lips as he took in her cleavage. Her hair was down and held off her face with a wide hair band of blues and purples. He noticed her crutches leaning against a mahogany filing cabinet. She slammed the phone down and looked up.
"Hi."
"Wow, even in a different language you are scary as hell."
"Let that be a lesson to you, pissing me off is not a good idea. Come here and give me a kiss."
Jon smiled and walked around the desk. He dropped to his knees and gave her a long romantic kiss.
"That was nice, I didn’t think you’d be this early."
"I missed you, Richie tagged along to make time with Vanessa."
"Baby, I’m stuck here until 3:30ish. I have a conference call at 11:30, a client coming in at 1, another conference call at 2 and a performance evaluation at 3:00."
"So is there any point to me hanging around to have lunch with you?"
"I’ll have 12:15ish to 12:55 for lunch. Feel like going to In and Out to pick up lunch?"
"Strawberry shake....yeah I’m in. You want your California cheese burger?"
"You know it."
"So if your conference call is at 11:30 does that mean we’ve got forty minutes to make out?"
"No, I have work to do. I can give you five minutes."
"I flew a few hundred miles to see you and I only get five minutes?"
"Four minutes forty seven seconds, forty six...."
Jon stopped her countdown with a long kiss and made quick work of the buttons on her sweater. He popped the front clasp on her bra and drew a soft peak into his mouth. She moaned in to his ear and he smiled knowing that she’d just stopped the clock. He made sure each nipple got very special attention before returning his lips to hers and giving her a series of kisses that left her gasping for air and wanting more. Jon happily indulged her and thirty minutes later got a slap to the back of his head.
"You bad boy! My call is in seven minutes and I don’t have anything ready."
"You can punish me later."
"Would you get out of here before I hurt you!"
"Just think you could be naked and writhing under me, wave after wave of orgasm sweeping over your body but instead you are going to make a business call."
She picked up her empty water bottle and cracked him over the head with it. Don’t make me call Nessa in here!"
"Kay, I’m going, I’m going."
As Jon reached her door, Rachel was calling Vanessa in to help her. The huge grin on Jon’s face and the flustered look of her boss combined with her sweater being buttoned wrong told her the nature of Jon’s visit.
"Your buttons are all wrong and your lips are swollen boss."
"I’m sure they are but I don’t have time to care. I need everything on the WWTC deal, the call is in like 5 minutes, damn Jon and his stupid horny teenage hormones!"
"Doesn’t look like you protested very hard." Nessa snickered.
"Now Nessa!" She roared.
There was nothing Rachel hated more than being flustered and ill prepared, If Jon had been near her she would have caused bodily harm. Her roar was loud enough to filter into the outer office and snapped both men’s attention to the door.
"What did you do that Nessa is getting in trouble for?" Richie asked.
Jon gave his old friend his most innocent look and shrugged his shoulders and Richie didn’t buy it for a second. He knew what he would have done with Nessa in a closed office and he had a good idea of what Jon was up to.
Ness came out of the office five minutes later and scowled at Jon, "You are not allowed to see her during business hours anymore!"
"I hate to break it to you Ness but I’m having lunch with her."
"Yes, in the break room, not her office and I’m keeping time." She replied with a take that grin.
"Now both of you, go play in traffic, I’ve got an office to run!"
Richie gave Jon a punch for getting him kicked out too and they left wondering what to do next.
Jon was disappointed when Nessa walked him to the break room and Rachel showed up a minute later. Every few minutes someone would walk in and Jon was sure Nessa was responsible for that. After lunch Rachel told him to go home and she’d be there around four.
Richie brought lunch for Vanessa and was disappointed to find that she wouldn’t leave her desk to eat it. They managed some small talk between phone calls and her being called into Rachel’s office every twenty minutes or so.
Rachel walked in her front door at five counting down the seconds until she could take her next pain pill. She found Jon watching TV, Fuzzy curled up on his lap getting his head scratched.
"You’re late."
"Yes I had work to do that didn’t get done in the morning. Some fool kept me engaged when I should have been working."
"I thought we could go have a picnic dinner on the beach. I got us pasta and crab salad, a baguette, some cheese and a couple of chicken legs. I have brownies for dessert and a fine grape wine to wash it down."
"You can’t have alcohol and I can’t mix it with pain pills."
Jon chuckled and pulled two bottle of Grape Crush out of the fridge. "So what do you say?"
"Let me go change."
She came down a few minutes later with olive capri pants and a sleeveless baby doll top with tiny turquoise and dark blue flowers and olive leaves. She had a pair of beige open toe heels on.
"Hey where is your brace?"
"Underneath my pants."
"Heels for the beach?"
"I only own heels."
"Let’s get going Miss Louboutin. I hope you know of a beach access for cripples."
"Cute, you mean you don’t want to carry me down and then back up a hundred stairs?"
"No, I told you my energy level is still bad."
"Wuss."
"Can I drive?"
"My baby? I don’t love you that much."
They were sitting on the beach after dinner and Jon got up to put the basket in the car and bring a portable radio down. The last rays of the sunset were still in the air and Jon looked at her and was struck by the most remarkable vision. Rachel looked up to see the sweetest smile she’d ever seen on his face.
"Jon?" She asked quietly.
"It’s just that you look....never mind it might not be wise to finish this sentence."
"Jon Francis please."
"It’s just that between the flowy nature of your top and in profile you look like you could be several months pregnant and you are so incredibly beautiful. I’d love to watch you glow for nine months."
"Jon, are you....."
"Yes. I’d be the happiest man alive if we were blessed with a child. I’d love to have a little girl who looked just like you call me Daddy."
"You know the odds are against us at my age."
"I know but wouldn’t it be wonderful if God saw fit to bless us with a baby."
"Oh Jon, I’d be honoured to be the mother of your child. I don’t think I’ve ever loved you as much as I do right now."
Jon sunk down to the sand and pulled her in his arms. They watched the sun disappear and Jon softly sang Hallelujah to her. They lay in each others arms listening to the waves both lost in the same thoughts of their future. They had both drifted off in a peaceful slumber and may have stayed there all night if the rain hadn’t started to gently fall.
"Guess we better get going." Jon sighed.
"Make love with me Baby." She replied with a smile.
He smiled at her, "I don’t exactly see a gazebo anywhere Baby."
"A star filled sky and the ocean trump a gazebo."
"God I love you."
"Show me."