Saturday, May 24, 2008

California Air Chapter 3

"You know what Dave is going to say to you when he sees you." Jon said as they sat down at the most out of the way table in Michelle’s Wine Bar.

"Something along the lines of the preppy princess lives again." She laughed.

The first Bon Jovi concert she attended, she stuck out like a sore thumb wearing jeans, a white T-shirt and a Channel jacket with heels. Today it was a different Channel jacket but the same look.

"You looked too classy that night to even know us."

"Well when you consider the girls on either side of me were dressed like hookers. Then there
was that redhead with the sign that said Jon, you make me wet. I was embarrassed for her."

"You didn’t see their faces though when I pulled you on stage. If looks could kill."

"It was ‘86, so I was in my first year of law school. I was use to those looks by then, from my classmates."

They ordered and sat sipping wine, talking about the good old days until lunch arrived. Jon had inhaled his sandwich and frites and was working on her frites when she slapped his hand.

"Stop eating my frites, I really like these. Order more."

"Think you can split another sandwich with me?"

"You’re that hungry?"

"Someone wouldn’t let me get breakfast this morning, so yes."

"Get a Croque Monsieur then. As good as this club is, I don't feel like eating another one."

Jon ordered more wine and another sandwich platter. "So do you want to do a little shopping after this?"

"Not really."

"Come on, you love shopping and this is the area to shop in."

"I’m just not in the mood."

"You not in the mood? I’m going to kill that bastard, he’s taken your will to live away!"

"I didn’t realize I was holding auditions for a bad soap."

"Smart ass! Hey if you are spending Easter with me, you have to buy presents for my kids. So we are going shopping whether you want to or not."

"Dorth told me to give you a hard time. Not you give me a hard time."

"Baby, you give me a hard time in your sleep. You do it without thinking."

"You realize there is a difference between making your hard and giving you a hard time right?" She asked with a wicked grin just as the waiter arrived at the table.

The waiter couldn’t help but laugh. "You’ve got a feisty one there." he said as he put down the sandwich platter and dips for the frites.

"Thanks, she’s trouble with a capital T." Jon responded, the blush leaving his face.

"The original bad medicine, but I go down so easily."

Jon almost choked on the sip of wine he had taken which made her laugh.

"What the hell has gotten into you woman?" He asked.

"You’ve always brought the bad girl out of me. I forgot how much fun it was to shock you."

As she reached for half of the sandwich Jon noticed the gold Cartier love bracelet on her wrist. He’d given it to her as a present when she graduated from law school.

"You’re wearing my bracelet."

"I wear it all the time. It comes off when I go to bed, take a shower, go to the beach and that’s about it."

"Did the jackass ever comment on it?"

"Yes, I told him that it was given to me by someone I loved and it was my favourite piece of jewellery. A week later he gave me this gorgeous diamond and pink sapphire bracelet. It was really pretty but I’d wear it maybe once a year. When he left me, I sent it back to him. It arrived at my office yesterday, I gave it to Nessa."

"So my note and rubber ducky didn’t get you here. You were running away from him."

"Actually, I was considering becoming a nun when I swear, the ducky winked at me. I noticed the smirk on his little yellow face and knew ...."

"That only I could make it all better?"

"Yeah, I need you Jon. I needed to feel loved."

"Well you came to the right place. I missed you, it’s been too long since I saw you last."

"You talk to me every other day."

"It’s not the same or you would have spent all night on the phone with me instead of flying here."

"You’ve got me there, there is something so restorative about cuddling up to you."

"I love taking care of you."

"I love being taken care of. I still can’t believe Dorothea doesn’t like to curl up to you in bed."

"She likes her space."

"So did George, he’d let me fall asleep on him them shift me way over. He said I made him too hot."

"I bet you had him screaming your name."

"Yes, I am incredibly talented between the sheets."

"Sadly, I’ll just have to take your word for that."

"Yeah, I bet we’d be combustible together though."

"I’m sure we’d scorch the room and break the sound barrier."

Rachel started giggling and it became contagious. She paid the bill and they headed out to do some shopping. Jon pulled her towards him and left a kiss on her neck. Neither of them noticed their movements were being filmed by a paparazzi.

When she jay walked to be on the opposite side of the street of Tiffany's, Jon figured out where George’s bracelet came from. She also spent a hundred dollars at Laura Secord Chocolates and walked out with a French Mint bar in her mouth while he carried all the bags. As they laughed and shopped the paparazzi kept on taking pictures. They finally found the toy store and she was looking at books on castles, wondering if Jake would like it when she found a copper coloured plush cat in her face.

"Meow, take me home with you."

"She’s got such a cute little face." Rachel took him off Jon and realized it was a purse. "Wow, you think Steph would like this?"

"It’s a little childish. I was going to buy it for you."

"Kay, I’ll use it as a purse. I’ll be trendy and I bet it will be a conversation starter."

"You are a freak my dear."

"Takes one to know one. Think Jake would like this book?"

"Yes, he’s in to knights and castles. You always buy my kids books though."

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Your mind was mush when I met you, but I have higher hopes for your children."

She didn’t even have time to give him a look before he scooped her up in his arms and brought her across the store to the ball pit he had noticed.

"Put me down you Neanderthal!"

"Kay." He replied and tossed her in to the pit.

When Rachel emerged he started pelting her with the feather weight plastic balls. They were making so much noise that the clerk came over and gave them the evil eye. Jon gave her his hands to help her up and she pulled him in. They rolled around for a minute or two until Rachel straddled him and held his hands down to his waist.

"Tell me I’m the Supreme Master of the Universe." she teased.

"Bite Me, Baby!" He replied with a smirk.

"Don’t give me ideas, Baby. Say it!"

"Nevah."

"I’m quite comfortable and chocolate is within my reach. You on the other hand will have 18 000 people waiting for you tomorrow night. Save yourself the aggravation and say it now."

"I believe the phrase I’m looking for is BITE ME!" Jon laughed.

He wasn’t counting on her leaning down and nipping his nose. From the angle the paparazzi had, it looked like they were involved in a hot and heavy make out session.

"Woman you bit me!"

"You told me too!"

"Mommy, those adults won’t get out of the ball pit. I want to play!" a five year old screamed.

"Sorry Ma’am, all he has to do is admit I’m the Supreme Master of the Universe and we’ll be moving."

"Sir, please, he’s going to throw a hissy fit and I’ll have to deal with it."

"You are the Supreme Master of the Universe," he mumbled.

"Now was that so hard baby?" She asked and gave him a kiss on the forehead before getting off of him.

Jon mumbled a few choice words at her and took back his declaration. She just laughed and told him she had witnesses. They found two books and a stuffed lion for Romeo and left the store.

"I want ice cream."

"It’s March and it’s not exactly warm."

She sighed, "I use to know this great guy, he needed a haircut, but he thought anytime was ice cream time. I miss him."

"Fine, we’ll go for ice cream and I don’t need a haircut."

Rachel raised both arms, wrapping them around his neck, taking a hold of his hair on each side and gave it a yank.

The paparazzi couldn't believe his luck, he was convinced he had evidence of a major rock stars hot affair.

"Yeah right you don’t need a hair cut." She laughed as she tugged on it again.

"Leave my hair alone, my fans love it."

"Jon they loved the cousin It look too, they can’t be trusted."

"I’ll let you run it by the boss when we get home. I trust my wife with my hair."

"I love her, but she liked the It look too, so her judgement is shaky at best."

"Do you want an ice cream or not? You royal pain in the ass!"

"That’s Her Royal Supreme Master of the Universe to you baby."

The paparazzi got shots of her feeding him ice cream, them walking arm in arm and going into an exclusive lingerie shop. Rachel deserted Jon to shop for herself while he found a few treats for Dorothea. Jon hands were full and the bags were so light that Rachel offered to carry them. Jon teased her about being a wuss all the way back to the hotel. The paparazzi decided to stalk them tomorrow, a wide variety of pictures over several days would earn him top dollar.