Half way through the show, Tico noticed that Rachel was no longer smiling or singing along. They had miked her with the feed going to Tico. He was glad she had a pleasant enough singing voice or he would have gone crazy. He looked at her and mouthed what.
"My back hurts and my knee is starting to kill but I can’t take the next pill for an hour."
Jon happened to turn around and noticed the pained look on her face.
"Folks, you may have noticed that Tico has company tonight."
"Yeah, I finally have something better to look at than your ass!"
"It’s because tonight is his last night with the band." Jon teased.
"Bro, I’ve got my legal council right beside me." Tico laughed back.
"Seriously, Tico’s oh so pleasing eye candy tonight is a long time friend of the band and my best friend. I met her before the first record was released. She’s brilliant and beautiful but gravitationally challenged. She wrecked her knee this morning and by the look on her face, her meds stopped working. There is only one song I can think of that will make her laugh and forget about the pain. Rae this is for you, hit it guys."
Rachel had no idea what they were playing from the opening until Jon started singing Rubber Ducky. Her jaw dropped and she started killing herself laughing and almost fell off the chair when Jon pointed his mike stand to the audience and they started singing along. The endorphins released by her laughter kept the pain at bay until the encore at which point she knew she could take her pill in ten minutes. As soon as the lights went to black Jon picked her up and carried her off the stage. When he got her back to the dressing room he noticed that her cheeks were stained with tears.
"I’m sorry it hurts so much Baby. Here take your pill."
Rachel swallowed the pill and took a long swig of the water. The pain was a throbbing one and was driving her crazy. Jon figured it wasn’t a good idea to move her until the pill kicked in again. He asked if she wanted another meatball but she told him to go ahead and eat without her. She wanted the pain gone not a midnight snack. Jon finished eating and decided to see if he could distract her with kisses. It didn’t work but she figured kissing him and being in pain beat just sitting there in pain. She pulled away a tiny bit and rested her thumb in the cleft of his chin and kissed around his lips before looking up at him through her lashes. Baby blue met fiery emerald and she pushed his hair off his face.
"Hey, you have more lines than I do."
He looked at her like she had two heads, "I’m trying to be all romantic and help ease your pain and you are telling me I look old?"
"No, I just noticed all those frown lines, all four of them. I barely have half of one over my right eyebrow."
"You know sometimes I wonder why on earth I held a torch for you all these years."
"You are one of a kind Jon, the only man who has a fighting chance at trying to tame me."
"More like barely hold the reins by a thread on a good day. You really are quite the demanding wench."
"I know but all that matters is that you love me and I love you."
"Actually all that matters is my sanity but I’ll humour you."
"Humour me? I think not. I’m perfect." She laughed.
"You drive me crazy Rae but as soon as I have peace and quiet I miss you annoying the crap out of me."
"I guess I should thank my lucky stars that I'm pleasing eye candy."
"You are stunning eye candy. What's Nessa going to say when you tell her about us?"
"First she's going to jokingly call me a home wrecker or something like that. Then she'll want to know why Dorth didn't beat the crap out of me because she sure would have. Finally she'll want all the details and ask if she can tend to you when I'm too busy to."
"That works for me." Jon replied with a wicked grin and a raised eyebrow.
"Only in both of your dreams darling. You belong to me."
"You are a demanding, selfish, klutzy wench."
"And you are the love of my life, kiss me."
Jon happily obliged her and they lost track of time as they indulged in a make out session. Mike entered the room and was surprised.
"Sorry guys, I thought you left eons ago, I was just checking to make sure you didn't leave anything behind."
"We were waiting for her pain killers to kick in. Mike this is between the three of us, only the guys know that Rae and I are a couple now. Dorth and I are splitting up."
"Wow, so those pictures...."
"No, Mike when they were taken we were still just best friends. The realization hit us the next day." Rachel corrected.
"So I guess we'll be seeing more of you Rae, unless you manage to hospitalize yourself."
"That's soo not funny."
"I think it is. See ya later, don't forget anything Jon."
"Thanks Mike, we should be ready to move in ten minutes." He looked at Rachel, "The next day?"
"Eight hours later just sounds so stupid. How do you think the kids will react?"
"I have no idea. I don't think they will be pleased but they adore you so they will come around eventually. Jake is really protective of Dorth so you might get the cold shoulder from him for quite some time."
"That is the one thing I regret, that loving you is going to hurt the kids and Dorothea. I still feel like a shit."
"Baby, things haven't been the same between Dorth and I for a long time."
"What do you mean?"
"Over the last two years or so we started loosing touch with each other. We'd run out of things to say after exhausting the kids as a topic. Sex was easy because we didn't have to talk. I'd watch a movie and she'd go off to read. I think she was so use to me being gone that she didn't know what to do when I was around. When I got back from Nashville she was startled to see me. We just grew apart. On the road, I'd call every day and she'd say hi, tell me anything important then pass me on to the kids."
"That explains why I started to get so many 10 pm calls from you."
"Yeah, I wanted to talk to someone, we never run out of things to talk about."
"That's because we aren't always together and I'm a chatterbox. Are you ready to go from the estate to my little house?"
"You house is far from little."
"Compared to your sprawling estate it is. You are going to miss not having Sanctuary II in your backyard."
"Probably, but then the trade off is that I get you."
"I'm not feeling any pain again, we should go while the getting is good."
"You sure you don't want anything to eat?"
"I'm good."
In what seemed like a blink of the eye, Jon was singing the last song before the break for Easter. Dorothea's dismissal of the pictures pretty much squashed any rumours and they were out of the news cycle once more. Rachel’s leg was still hurting which meant Jon was treated to her bitchy side until the pain pills took affect. She reminded him of a caged bear, the pain was driving her nuts but she couldn’t walk it off. Her injury actually made the visit more like the old ones where talking late into the night was all the action they both got.
Somewhere over Ohio, Rachel got really quite.
"Rach, are you in pain?" Dave asked.
"No, my pills are still good for about four hours."
"Has the cat got your tongue?" Jon asked.
"No, what I’m not allowed to be silent for a little bit?"
"You stopped talking mid sentence my little motor mouth."
"I... Um... Lost my train of thought."
"The only time that happens, my tongue is stuck down your throat. What’s going on?"
"Nothing!"
"She’s doing that annoying female thing Jon."
"I’m well aware of that Dave. We can tag team drag it out of you or you can save us the trouble and spill."
"If you must know, I just thought of something in a contract and I can’t remember for the life of me if I changed it or not before I left." She lied.
"I’m sure they would have called if there was a problem Rach." Dave said.
Jon knew she was lying but didn’t want to call her on it in front of Dave. He’d wait until they were alone in the car. On the drive to the car she admitted that she was nervous about setting foot into the house as the other woman. Jon tried to reassure her but he knew he didn’t help at all. He couldn’t change what she was thinking and only hoped she’d relax after a few minutes or the kids would sense something was wrong.
"Mom, Dad and Rachel are coming up the driveway." Jesse yelled.
"Kay, don’t jump Rach, your Dad said she hurt her leg."
Jesse didn’t hear most of what she said because he was dashing down the hall to get to the front door. The car had just come to a stop when he reached the driveway.
Jon got out of the car and smiled at his eldest son. "Come help me."
Jon gave Jess a big hug and ruffled his hair. He handed him Rachel’s Heys luggage and crutches before grabbing his own luggage. They brought everything inside. Jess dashed back outside and opened the other car door. He was shocked to see the large brace on her knee.
"Yowza, Rach, what happened?" Jesse asked.
"I screwed my knee up pretty good."
"Ouch, how about a kiss to make it feel better?" He leaned over and left a soft kiss on her cheek.
"Thank you. Jess you just keep getting more handsome every time I see you. I bet all the girls at school are after you."
"Nah, they are all a bunch of losers. They love that Zac guy. I like older women."
She couldn’t help chuckling, "Really? Anyone in particular?"
"One of Steph’s friends, her name is Allie."
"She cute?"
"Oh yeah, blond hair, green eyes and the sweetest smile. She reminds me of you."
She smiled, "Is she intelligent?"
"She’s smart enough to like me back. It’s driving Steph crazy."
"A girl would have to be crazy to not like you Jess. If I were only 30 years younger, I’d claim you as mine."
"Rae, stop trying to date my son." Jon teased.
"I’m afraid he’s already replaced me with a younger clone."
"Really? Son, we’ll have to talk. Blondes are a great deal of trouble, especially the really pretty and smart ones." Jon replied grinning at Rachel.
"Bite Me!"
"Later, Baby, later." He laughed.
Jon leaned over, picked her up and carried her into the living room. Dorothea was taken aback by the brace on her knee and the crutches that were already leaning against the couch.
"Holy Cow Rach, Jon said you hurt yourself, he didn’t tell me how serious it was."
"I tore a couple of ligaments. If the brace doesn’t help I’m looking at surgery."
"How did you do it?" Jesse asked.
"She fell down the stairs leaving the plane in Pittsburgh, just after Dave warned her to watch where she was going. Where are the rest of my brood?" Jon asked.
"They are playing a game downstairs." Jesse answered.
"Go tell them to get their butts up here and greet me."
"Jon, go down yourself and see them. I want to talk to Rach." Dorothea ordered.
"Yes dear." Jon put his arm around his son and they headed downstairs.
Dorothea sat down across form Rachel and smiled.
"Dorth, I feel so horrible about all of...."
"Rachel, it’s not your fault. Jon and I have been strangers living under the same roof for a few years now. Somewhere along the road we became different people. This would be hard if you were some opportunistic little slut but you aren’t. I know you never set out to seduce him or steal him away. Jon and I were a good match but you’ve always been his soul mate. I’m actually surprised our marriage has lasted this long. Romeo extended the life of our marriage because I was ready to ask for a separation until I found out I was pregnant. I won’t lie, it does bother me but I don’t blame you. If I thought we could get back to the way it use to be, I’d fight you to the death to keep my husband. That isn’t going to happen though."
"I’m sorry, I use to hear about divorces after 16, 25, 35 years and wonder what the hell happened. I figured if you made it that long you could handle anything. Jon use to always say you were his best friend too, how ....."
"Did we loose track of each other?"
"Yeah."
"When you live two different lives, you grow and change. My world centres around the kids, his around the music. I use to love how creative he was, I was chomping at the bit to hear the latest song. Then it started to mean that the album would be recorded soon and after that the tour and he’d be gone for a year. I started hating the music then I just got use to it and I just didn’t care anymore. I was too tired from raising four kids to fight. Rach reign him in, put your foot down or ten years for now you’ll be me."
"Then I run the risk of him resenting me."
"Nah, he might be pissed at you for a little bit but he loves you too much. He’ll always pick you."
"Dorth why didn’t you take your own advice?"
"In the early years, I figured if I pushed him too hard he’d end up in your arms. Later when we had Steph then Jess I thought I couldn’t change the rules of the game in the middle. Then I got use to being a single mother most of the time and when he was back with us, it was great. Those times got me through until I just went about living my own life whether he was here or not. Turns out, no matter what I did he ended up in your arms."
Rachel had no response to that so she just sat quietly praying Jon would come back with the kids and the uncomfortable silence would be over. The silence was finally broken by a loud throat clearing. She looked up and grinned as it was performance time.
"Romeo, Romeo, where for art thou Romeo?"
"Here I come to save the day!" Romeo sang doing his best Mighty Mouse impression.
He ran over to Rachel, climbed on the couch and wrapped his arms around her neck, kissing her ten times.
"How’s my favourite little man doing?"
"Great Aunty Rae Rae. I made you a picture yesterday."
"Wow, I’m so lucky to be getting a original masterpiece."
"Yes, my usual fee is a thousand dollars but for you, today only: 2 hugs."
"That’s generous but I insist on 3 hugs."
Romeo giggled and collected his three hugs and a bonus kiss. He adored his Rae Rae, because she never hesitated to play with him and she’d crawl or roll around on the floor unlike most adults. He noticed the large brace on her leg and gently touched it.
"So who do I have to beat up for hurting you?"
"That would be Rachel herself buddy. She’s gravitationally challenged." Jon answered coming in to the room.
"Does that mean she is a klutz?" Romeo inquired.
"It most certainly does son." Jon laughed.
"Hey Rach, aren’t you glad our show is back for the third season?" Stephanie asked.
"You know I am. We can watch it together Monday night."
"Hi ya Aunty Rachel." Jake said.
"Jake, come over here and give me a hug, young man."
"Jake thinks he’s too cool for hugs now." Jesse teased.
"Bite Me!" Jake responded.
"Thanks ever so for teaching them that lovely comment Rachel." Dorothea said sarcastically.
"Hey, I admit I use it, but I got it from him" Rachel replied pointing at Jon.
"Hee Daddy’s going to get it." Romeo chanted.
Jon turned around, whipped his son up in the air and turned him upside down and said he’d have to shake the sillies out of him. Romeo just laughed and laughed finding his new view entertaining.
"Rachel, do you remember that ham and cheese bread you served for brunch when we visited you last?"
"Yeah, wow I don’t think I’ve made it since then. I like it, it’s worth the effort."
"Do you know it or do you need the recipe?"
"I know it, why?"
"Think we can make some Monday with the left over ham?"
"Sure but you’ll have to do most of the work while I sit and instruct."
"I don’t mind, then I’ll know how to make it for next time."
"We’ve got two dates on Monday then." Rachel grimaced and grabbed on to the couch.
Jon noticed immediately, "Pill wearing off?"
"Yeah, I can’t take one for another hour."
"What do you want to do?"
"I think I’ll go lay down, I might be able to have a nap."
"Kay."
Jon picked her up and carried her to the guest room she always used when visiting. He put her gently down on the bed then closed the door. He sat down beside her and leaned in to kiss her.
"I’ve been wanting to do that for forty minutes now."
"It will look a little funny if you stay up here when I’m suppose to be napping. We have the rest of our lives Jon. Think cold thoughts and go play with your kids."
"Slave driver."
"That’s me."
Jon went downstairs and headed to the kitchen for some coffee. He found his wife sitting at the kitchen table with a glass of wine.
"A little early for that isn’t it?" he asked with a smile.
"Considering you just brought your mistress up to our guest room, I think it’s long overdue."
"Whoa, where are the kids?"
"I sent them downstairs and told them to stay until they were called for. They think we’re sucking face, I’m sure."
"You sound a little hostile, maybe now isn’t the best time?"
"No, now is fine, Rach and I are fine, I don’t blame her."
"But you blame me?"
"Damn straight I do."
Jon sighed and ran his hand through his hair, this was not going to be a fun conversation.